Nomba Software Engineers build solutions that will forever change the face of finance and banking in Africa by bringing affordable banking services to the doorstep of people across the continent. We’re looking for engineers that can bring fresh ideas and experience to the table from all areas of expertise including distributed system design, mobile development, systems architecture, networking, security and more.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you will be responsible for all levels of our vast technology stack from design to deployment; developing intelligent and resilient mission-critical systems which handle hundreds of millions of dollars in transactions monthly. You will also be responsible for significant architectural decisions, guiding the rest of the team technically and using all of the tools at your disposal along with your initiative to get stuff done.
Launched in 2017 as "Kudi.ai", a chatbot that responds to financial requests on social apps, nomba has since evolved to empower independent businesses to act as neighborhood banks offering basic financial services such as cash withdrawal, transfer and bill payments to all Nigerians, especially those in underserved communities. Today we process more than $500m in payments monthly.
With a vision to enable economic prosperity by supercharging businesses to run efficiently and meet their goals, nomba is making it easier for businesses to accept payments, make payments and manage their operations. With over 250 employees and more than 150,000 businesses on our platform across the country, we are creating a distinct gateway into the digital economy by providing businesses with access to everyday tools that simplify payments and drive their growth. With these easy-to-use tools, businesses of all sizes can now accept, process and manage payments online and offline while optimizing their operations.
To learn more about nomba, visit our website on www.nomba.com or follow us on Twitter @nomba, on Instagram @nomba_hq and on LinkedIn nombahq.
- Excellent programming skills
- At least 5 years experience developing in Java (Springboot or Dropwizard frameworks) & NodeJS in the industry
- At least 5 years experience developing with MongoDB or MySQL
- Strong affinity for technical design, testing and system architecture
- Experience working with containers
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong System Architecture Design skills
- Knowledge of fundamental computing topics, e.g. networking, databases, concurrency, parallelism, locking, algorithms, data structures, performance monitoring, optimisation, etc
- Knowledge of modern software engineering practises, e.g DDD, TDD
- Ability to work autonomously and lead technically
- Ability to take initiative and get stuff done
- Great communication skills
About the Position:
- Architect, design and develop mobile products.
- Provide ongoing maintenance, support and enhancements to existing mobile services.
- Manage Junior Engineers, providing mentoring, code reviews, architectural design etc..
- Perform performance review on direct reports and report details to line manager.
- Take full responsibility for products while they are in development and issues that arise when they are in use.
- You will work across different technology stacks and languages (mainly with a focus on Java and NodeJS);
- You will have an end to end responsibility of many services from design to deployment;
- You will join fast-paced team of engineers
- You will be a point of call for technical matters
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of Rust or Python
- Experience working in financial services
- Excellent communication skills - verbal & oral
- Approachable - easily approachable for others to discuss challenges with you